Thursday, April 9, 2020

MMO Motivation

Hunter's Lodge in World of Warcraft Legion

After leveling four characters through World of Warcraft (WoW) Legion, it shouldn't be too surprising that I've lost some of my motivation.  Yesterday I was tired and decided I didn't want to play WoW.  This evening, I got a level done but didn't feel like doing much more.  As I mentioned in my last post, I should be able to do different zones on all but one of the characters but I just went through Battle for Azeroth (BfA) not too long ago and I'm not nearly as motivated as I was when I had the different class quests to look forward to in Legion.

Different people have different motivations for playing MMOs and I can only speak to mine.  In terms of Bartle types, I am EASK.  PVP doesn't motivate me at all.  Exploration is my biggest motivation which is why seeing new things, like the new class areas in Legion are so motivating.   If there isn't anything new, it becomes difficult for me to stay motivated.  Sometimes I can be motivated by creating things (see my earlier Vial of the Sands post) but achievements, and social activities, though they help, are not usually enough to keep me going.  

After Burning Crusade I decided that if I was not going to have the time or be motivated through a full expansion, I might as well wait.  There is excitement it getting a game or expansion when it is first out.  I bought World of Warcraft at Gamestop on the first day when it went on sale (I think it was 10 pm).  However, I discovered I would always be behind and, although I raided in Vanilla and Burning Crusade, I didn't think I had time for it any more so being in the raiding end game with other players wasn't something I felt I could do.  I could wait, pay less, and not feel rushed to get through the new content.  I am still motivated by the excitement and the fear of missing out (FOMO) and I even feel it now with Animal Crossing, but I know it isn't a game that I'll stick with and I can't see paying $60 for something I won't play that much.

I am quite motivated by taking advantage of bonuses.  Right now I might be tempted to see if I could solo those dungeons that blocked me and seeing Argos, an area in Legion I missed.  I would also like to see the Demon Hunter starting quests even thought I don't particularly want to play one.  However, I know I am getting the bonus to experience until April 20th and I want to take full advantage of it.  I'm even more likely to not play at all than play Kanter who won't be getting that experience.  It may not make sense but human's don't always make sense.

Writing motivates me as well.  It is nice to be able to describe and understand how I'm playing and enjoying these games and hopefully others will be interested enough to read what I have to say.  This will probably last me through the end of April and Blapril, but I don't have any confidence it will last after that.


Blapril post #7

No comments:

Post a Comment