Friday, April 3, 2020

Leveling alts in World of Warcraft Legion


Warrior Class Hall - Skyhold
I'll be talking about Legion, an expansion that came out more than three and a half years ago (August 2016), so if you don't want to look at World of Warcraft history, feel free to skip this post.  I will, however, be talking about it as someone who is leveling alts with the current bonus experience.

I was frustrated with the World of Warcraft (WoW) Legion expansion when it first came out.  Initially I liked the class hall and the much of the questing but as I was working on reputations, the beginnings of the Illidan questline were fun (particularly when you got to play Illidan as the raid boss) but I didn't like Suramar.  I didn't like having my dwarf be an elf (you wear a disguise most of the time in the area).  I didn't like worry about the stealth mechanism almost all the time (so you didn't lose your disguise and get attacked).  And then, when I was exalted with the faction and I was almost done with the quests you needed to do for the achievement that eventually lead to flying, they put it behind a dungeon and raid wall and I didn't want to do that.  Right about that time I quit the game (and, about that time, I quit blogging).  I never even visited the Argus expansion area that came out later.

However, now, as a solo pass through area on the way to Battle for Azeroth, the expansion is great.  The class halls are all quite different and very well themed to the class (you can see the warrior one above).  I haven't seen them all but the Hunter and Druid class halls are outside areas that you can travel to in the Broken Isles (the region where the expansion takes place) which makes sense for these classes.  In contrast the Warrior, Priest and Mage areas are buildings you visit.  The Mage area requires teleport, a mage only spell, while the Warrior area is viking themed and you use a Thor-like leap to reach the area and get back to Dalaran, the central city hub.

With the 100% bonus experience (including quests, exploration, and gathering) levels go quickly.  Not spending too many hours or using any additional bonus experience except the rested bonus (another 100% but only for the experience when killing mobs, not from the items listed above) I was able to gain the 10 levels for the expansion in about 2 days.  That also pretty much consumed my rested bonus but then I would go to the next character I wanted to level.  This way, over the last two weeks I've leveled three characters through Legion (levels 100 to 110) and have a fourth almost half way there (my Druid started at level 95 so he used up rested experience half way through).

The bonus experience is through April 20th, so if you are reading this when it's current and you've left World of Warcraft and are interested in leveling some characters you have, I'd recommend it.  It goes very fast, I was able to avoid the things I didn't like (Suramar), and there are enough differences between the classes and enough different areas to quest that you don't have to have the same experience.

At this point the characters I originally leveled are rested again and I have started leveling them through Battle for Azeroth.  More about that in future posts.

1 comment:

  1. I'm leveling a warlock through Legion right now. The class quests and class hall are amazing.

    Legion is an interesting expansion now as it's very tolerable for alts if you focus on the class stuff. You only have to repeat zone quests when you need a bit of XP. The previous expansion zones were a bit too repetitive for me.

    ReplyDelete