Sunday, March 9, 2014

It's a game, it should be fun

Kantra on her Jade Panther
I mentioned my plans to try to get the Mekgineer's Chopper on my Engineer, Kantrina, by grinding rep at the Argent Tournament.  I did this for a few days and stopped.  On reflection, it just isn't fun and so I'm not going to do it any more.

I have quite a bit of tolerance for daily quests.  Kanter is even exalted with all four of the original alliance factions because he kept doing the Tournament quests.  I happily farm on three characters every day.  However, what was fun several years ago isn't fun now.  World of Warcraft is a game and it shouldn't be about grinding or doing it right, it should be about having fun.

I am still enjoying Archaeology.  Just yesterday in my pursuit of the Vial of the Sands, I completed the Crawling Claw.  It happened to my 100th unique pet so I also got Nuts as a bonus.  I had thought that I was getting close to 100 pets and 100 mounts, but it is much nicer to just run across them as I am doing other things.

That was my intention with the Chopper.  As I was leveling, I was going to pick up the recipe, not realizing it was behind a reputation wall.  I will continue to level Kantrina and pick up the Engineering recipes as they come.  Maybe someday I'll go back and run some Wrath Heroic dungeons at level 90 solo to get the reputation needed for the recipe, but only if I enjoy it.  If not, there are other things to do and other games to play.

2 comments:

  1. I'm the opposite, I'd much prefer to throw on my sound cancelling headphones and grind for a bit over doing dailies any, er, day!

    That's the beauty of gaming though, isn't it? We can all be content doing different things and it really has no effect on anyone else at all.

    Congrats on the Crawling Claw and 100 pets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My preferences change. Sometimes dailies are nice mindless activities and sometimes I don't enjoy them. I can typically grind a profession and enjoy the progress. I agree about the different options people have in games generally is a good thing, I think it is particularly a strength for most MMOs. There may be other MMOs that just fill a nitch, but I don't think any of those have been very successful.

      Delete