Monday, June 15, 2020

Finishing Horde War Campaign

Death of a Zaldaran King
Zaldalar gathered to mourn the death of their king

This week I actually accomplished a lot of goals in World of Warcraft (WoW) and am very close on some others.  I completed the Zaldalar and Nazmir quest lines which allowed me to finish  the Zaldalar Forever! achievement and opened up the rest of the War Campaign.  I also finished the War Campaign through the rescue of Baine.  That left me with only the Conclusion of the War Campaign and I decided I'd rather finish up the Jaina questline (The Pride of Kul Tiras) before finishing it.  Also the Highmountain Taurens and the Voldunai are less that 500 reputation points from exalted and opening up the quests for those two allied races.  I could do World Quests but I'd rather wait for either missions or an emissary quest for Voldun to finish them off.

In my previous posts I was justifying the questlines with the Allied Race unlocks, but at this point (except for The Pride of Kul Tiras that unlocks the Kul Tiran Humans), I've done the needed quests.  This is more about seeing both sides of the story.  I found it interesting that while the Horde Zaldalar Forever! achievement doesn't require any dungeons, the equivalent Alliance questline, The Pride of Kul Tiras, requires four dungeons.  I also finished the second dungeon for the achievement, Shrine of the Storm, solo this week.  I had to skip the third boss, Lord Stormsong, there because it will pick a player to mind control and once the mind control was done he was fully healed.  Fortunately they seemed to anticipate this and you can swim in the pool behind him to go on to the final boss that is required for the achievement.

On the Horde-side, I found there is another full questline related to Vol'jin that I will probably finish once I have done with the Pride of Kul Tiras Alliance questline and the Horde War Campaign and before I finish the Legendary Cloak questline on Kantoor.

Horde disguised in Redridge
My Tauren as a little girl with a giant bear looking for clues in Lakeshire.  Perfect!

In one very amusing questline while you are tracking Saurang through Redridge in the War Campaign  you are turned into a little girl as a disguise to help get information about him.  This was particularly amusing as an alliance player and as I saw alliance players walking by I wondered if I had seen this girl when I was in Redridge in Alliance and didn't realize it was part of the Horde story.

Even though many have complained about Battle for Azeroth, I am very glad I am able to explore different areas and very different stories from the Horde perspective.  I think the Alliance story is more consistent but the Horde one is more interesting.  Choice is a good thing and doesn't happen often in MMOs.  I wondered how may players actually see both sides and it looks like it is more than I thought.  23% of Wowhead profiles have finished Two Sides to Every Tale (38% achieved Zandalar Forever! and 27% A Nation United) so the majority of the players who finished one side, actually finished both (a huge 85% of alliance players who finished the Alliance questline and a lower 60% of the Horde players).

2 comments:

  1. On the Horde-side, are you doing Sylvanas Loyalist or Saurfang Rebel?

    I did like that they tried to make things slightly different, and offer options that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Rohan. I went 'Saurfang Rebel' though if you've already seen where this ends up, I'm not sure how rebellious it is. I did think seriously taking the other side and if I do level another Horde (probably an Allied race), I'll probably do it just to see the differences. I agree it is a nice they are trying something different.

      Delete