Monday, June 11, 2012

One Night on Fallen Earth

Actually, it was more like two short nights.  So, here's how Fallen Earth went.

Fallen Earth Character Screen

The good parts:
  • Character creation in Fallen Earth is quite detailed.  I don't really need all the scar and tattoo options, but it's better have too many options than too few. Also the options really seem to make a difference.
  • Fallen Earth has a nice introduction that doesn't take too long.  Even if the clone story for why you can't die is a bit far-fetched, it's better than having no explanation at all in a near future game that doesn't include magic.
  • There are a nice variety of things to do for both crafting and fighting.  I didn't get to explore much of either, but it seems to have more flexibility in what you can do and I didn't feel either too overpowered or underpowered to start out.
  • The visually were pretty nice and seemed to run well on my machine from a couple of years ago with an even more dated graphics card.
  • The quests gave you things to do, but didn't seem to scripted (after the introductory sequence, that is).  It's a game that seems to encourage exploration.
  • You get a horse at the beginning!  Well almost at the beginning (I think it was the third quest I did).  Moving slowly could get old fast and it's nice they give you a mount so soon.
On my horse at South Burg

The not so good parts:

  • I was given a choice of 6 towns to go to but had no idea what to choose.  I think 4 out of the 6 were listed as Full (and this was at around 5 am EDT).  I chose a 'Crafting' one since I usually like crafting, but I wish I was given a better idea what I was doing.  Is this picking a server?
  • I'm not too fond of the Post Apocalypse setting.  Not at all the games fault but it's not really my thing.  It also makes it less suitable for playing with my children.
I was impressed by Fallen Earth and could see myself coming back to it, except for the fact that it's probably not the best family game.  The open nature of the game would be good for only playing one night a week.

I hope there are still a few people reading after my pause in posts.  More about that in my next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment