Saturday, May 5, 2012

Influences

I remember hearing an interview with an author (I believe it was John Updike) where he was asked about his influences and he stated that although he had read extensively, his biggest influence was his children.  The same is true for me.  My wife and I have three children, ages 3, 7, and 9, and although in some ways I am the same person I was before my first child was born, my life is totally different.


One way that affects me is in my choice of games.  Typically I do not play while my children are with me, but once in a while it has turned out that one was there while I was playing World of Warcraft or SWTOR.  I thought about what I was doing and made sure I could leave at a moments notice, but I was never really concerned about what they saw or heard.  However, it's a influence now as I pick games going forward.  I have friends who are excited about playing the Secret World.  I was interested enough to read some about the game and take the quiz to find out I was a 'Dragon' but the 'mature' tag made me pause.  I realized that even though I typically played games by myself, I didn't want to worry about one of my children being disturbed by what I was playing and decided the Secret World wasn't for me.


Similarly, I recently played the 'Diablo III' open beta.  I had played Diablo and Diablo II extensively and enjoyed the brief beta experience, but I've decided I wouldn't be comfortable playing it with my children with me and therefore I won't be buying it.


What about the rest of you?  Do you find that your game decisions are limited by your children, girlfriend or wife, boyfriend or husband?  It's not necessarily a bad thing.  There are so many games and so little time, that it's good a way to have limits on the choices I will make.

3 comments:

  1. ooo please pursue this whole avenue! I play when I have time only, so that side is interesting, and I'm careful for any littlies around (though my approach is more to teach them to cope with/avoid/choose what they play read, play, listen to or watch) And... glad you're blogging !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback! I have a lot of different angles to pursue assuming this goes on for a while and my children will certainly be a part of whatever I write, either directly or indirectly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good topic, sadly one that I can't really give any advice on as my young one is two. That said it's certainly an area that I am keen to understand, mainly so I can prepare for when I'm in the same situation.

    The hardiest problem I foresee is with some games much of the game-play is suitable enough that I wouldn't feel uncomfortable with children in the room. The unsuitable parts seem to be thrown in when you least expect it, exiling the game from your suitable play list.

    ReplyDelete